I love blueberries, like love love them. When I was little we would go pick blueberries every summer, complete with wide brimmed hats and giant plastic buckets. My only problem was I tended to eat more berries than I actually picked. The owners of the farm always said that they were going to weigh me before and after picking so they could charge us for the berries I ate. I love blueberries.
This cake is so yummy and bursting with
my true love blueberries, and the great thing about it is it tastes so similar to a coffee cake that you can eat it in the morning. As if I needed an excuse.
The first time I made this Josh renamed it Support Group Cake, because he needed a support group in order to stop eating it. I’m not sure if that should deter you from this recipe or not. It’s just really good, let’s leave it at that ok?
I found this recipe on Tasty Kitchen (I could live there) and adapted it slightly from The Pioneer Woman’s original recipe. No one tell her I changed her recipe, she might come after me. Wait, scratch that. Someone tell her I changed her recipe!
Anyway, here’s the recipe.
Turn your oven to 350 degrees. Mix together your flour, powder and salt. Set it aside and forget about it. Ok don’t forget about it, but leave it alone.
In another bowl toss in your egg, sugars, applesauce, cinnamon and vanilla.
Mix it up.
Add flour mixture and milk alternately until it all comes together. I did not take a picture of this step, just use your imagination.
Fold in the blueberries. No, it does not look pretty. Have patience, Grasshopper.
Spread into a greased 9×13 pan. Yes, the batter is purple. It won’t be purple later, I promise.
In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients: butter, sugar, cinnamon, flour and salt.
Cut it together until the crumbs are little.
If you don’t have a pastry cutter you can use a fork, it just may take a little bit longer.
Sprinkle the crumb topping over the cake.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.
Sprinkle with a little more sugar.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
I told you it wouldn’t stay purple.
Blueberry Crumb Cake (aka Support Group Cake)
- 1/4 cup applesauce (I use no sugar added)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup splenda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 cups blueberries (I use frozen but fresh would be amazing)
- 3/4 stick butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, powder and salt.
- In another bowl, combine applesauce, cinnamon, sugar, egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and milk alternately until combined.
- Stir in blueberries. Pour into a greased 9×13 pan, set aside.
- Combine the topping ingredients with a pastry cutter or a fork until the crumbs are small. Sprinkle over the cake.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with sugar. Serve warm or room temperature.
Yum. Let’s get that support group going, I may need it.
P.S. I never got weighed at the blueberry farm, I was too cute to resist.
Steph aka blueberry stealer